Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's only been a week since I left Wainui, where my parents live, but it seems like months to my feet and eyes. Wainui brought me rest, amazing food and wine (thanks mom and poppy!), quiet days for reading and sunbathing, and time to reflect on my new direction. One night my mom, our friend Lynnie, and I made our way to Arthurs Pass; the southern alps of the South Island. We "tramped" our way up a riverbed, over Woolshed ridge, to an unbelievable view of the surrounding mountains. One of the most difficult hikes I have done, I was in awe that the two 60 yr old sassy "hobbits" were right at my heels! We celebrated with wine, giggles, and a beautiful sunset!
I made my way to Nelson where I met a traveling companion, Brian, with a car (bonus!) and we spent two days in the incredible Abel Tasman National Park. Memories of my time here four years ago with my sis and friend made me wish for a few familiar faces! It is so beautiful; the clearest water I have seen, views of hidden beaches, seal colonies, waterfalls, and romantic sandbars. Traveling by car enables you to see the secrets of New Zealand; that or your bike, I wish I had mine! Brain and I explored dirt roads to deep caves, valley views, and tasty wineries. Amazing Chardonnay!

Now in Wellington, I am trying my hand at couchsurfing and got lost in the botanical gardens which was the best smelling place to get lost in! I have walked miles around this city, eaten delicious vegan food, and sat in a bar that could have been in Portland. I am meeting up with a friend, a french Canadian woman who I connected with immediately, for a drink tonight.
things are good, real good.....

No comments:

Post a Comment